Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Starting a Business

In my 52 years I never expected to be in the postition that I find myself in now. I have played around with the idea of starting my own business but never seriously until a little over a year ago. I never wanted to be in the food business either. I just wanted to draw and paint etc. I enjoyed baking but not as a profession. I also didn't really enjoy hard work. I enjoyed art and crafts I worked in professions that I did not enjoy because I enjoyed having money.

When personal reasons and then the economy prevented me from working I nearly lost everything. I am still a small crisis away from living in my car (which is also a small crisis away from no longer running). I have no income except child support. I am a single mother of two teenage daughters. I live with my older sister and brother because seperately we cannot survive. Sometimes I have sleepless nights trying to rearrange bills and food and gas for the car that all add up to more than the income we bring in. I have health issues with no insurance.

Financially I have nothing. What I do have is determination and faith. "I dwell in my possibilities." Emily Dickinson. I will use my talents to create a business to feed and house my family. I have the talent. I have the idea. I do not have the finances. In the past year and five months I with my daughters came up with the idea for a desert shop. Not just a bakery shop but a place to spend time. A place that the young people can enjoy and be creative and accepted. A place where the elderly can sit and enjoy themselves too. And not just any desserts but healthy ones. Not just any healthy desserts but ones that taste really really good. So if you are one of the healthy minded you will enjoy and if you are one of the junk food minded you will still enjoy. It has been a long and very frustrating process to start a business with no finances. I have meet other women along the way who are trying to do the same thing. Some of us are single moms and some are married and some are single. We are all women trying to better our lives. I have met some women who have already given up and some like me that keep on trying and hoping and believing. I really have no other choice.

I have learned a few important lessons in this attempt. The most important is that I would not have gotten this far without the help of other people. Some have just briefly passed through my life causing ripples that carried me and my dream further. Some have stayed in my life to become friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment